This is a recipe I learned from my mother, and it is one of my absolute favorites. These muffins are quick to make, and just completely delicious. They are perfect for breakfast when warmed up just a smidge so the chocolate chips go all melty again. But they are anytime, really - for breakfast, or dessert, or just a snack. And if you're the type who likes to sample the batter before baking the goods, have at it - it's just as yummy in that form. :)
Banana Bread Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 mashed bananas*
- 2 eggs (mix up before adding)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- pinch of salt
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips- 1 cup or more, as desired
*Overripe bananas are the best for this, as they mash easier, so if you buy a bunch, wait until they are brown/black on the outside. Also, make sure they are good-sized bananas, not small ones, or the muffins will be dry & batter won't make the full amount.Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mash bananas together with sugar and butter. (I find the texture of those two makes mashing either, instead of bananas just sliding around the bowl).
- Add flour, eggs, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
- Add chocolate chips. Mix well.
- Spoon batter into muffin slots so each is 2/3 full.
- Cook until golden brown (~12 minutes if small muffins, ~20 if cupcake size)
Recipe makes 3 to 4 dozen in mini muffin pans and 1.5 dozen in cupcake size pans. The pictures above show one full tray of mini muffins (24 muffins) and a cupcake-size pan (12 muffins) - that is from one batch of batter.